“Now that I am retired, what is my goal?”
Some people play golf, some watch TV, some volunteer and try to “give back.” It probably doesn’t matter much what you do because in the scope of things what you do really doesn’t effect the outcome in the world. But I’d like to propose that increasing net happiness in the world is a sensible objective. Here is the beginning of a list of things you can do starting today to increase happiness.
- Smile, laugh and beam.
- Say “thank you” often and with the slightest provocation.
- Be generous with your money and stuff. You can’t take it with you.
- Dress up. Wear your good clothes often.
- Avoid euphemisms (see photo above).
- Stop complaining.
- Have a joke or a happy phrase ready at all times.
- Spend more time in groups and less time alone.
- Be kind, especially to strangers.